Search This Blog

Friday, September 5, 2008

Quesadillas - Gluten-free

Being Celiac adds a challenge to 'eating' ! but I approach it with a bit of an adventurous spirit and a goal of finding food that tastes 'good' -- not just gluten-free !

With my daughter also Celiac and one of my granddaughters lactose intolerant and wheat sensitive ... and a couple of picky eaters thrown into the mix, I find myself unable to cook just ONE meal when my kids come over for dinner.

So I was THRILLED when I found this Quesadilla recipe that EVERYONE in my family LOVES ! I have made these for non-Celiac friends and they have proclaimed them as good as or better than the wheat ones.


To make the Quesadillas lay one tortilla shell into the frying pan with a very tiny amount of oil.. and cover one half with cheese... then your favorite fillings ... another layer of cheese and fold tortilla in half. Cook on medium heat on both sides until cheese is melted. Cut in half and serve with sour cream and Salsa.

Gluten-free Tortilla Shells

These Tortilla shells are easy to make and the dough- unlike most gluten-free dough - is extremely nice to handle.

Ingredients
2 cups tapioca flour (found in the Asian aisle of most grocery stores)
1 cup of gluten-free bread/bun mix - (I like Kinnikinnick - you can also use gluten-free biscuit mix flour)

2 rounded tsp of xanthium gum (important- adds the elasticity to dough)

1tbsp. shortning, 1tbsp butter

1 1/3 cups whole milk

1/2 cup of sweet rice flour for rolling dough - (if you don't have sweet rice flour you can use tapioca flour)

Method
1. Mix the dry ingredients well, cut in the shortning and then add the milk and mix until it forms a ball.

2. Turn ball onto floured surface and knead until dough is smooth.

3. Cover completely with plasic wrap and let rest for an hour.

4. Form dough into a rope and cut into 12 pieces.


5. Place the pieces on a plate and cover with a damp paper tower. (The dough will dry out too quickly if you don't)


6. Piece by piece roll out on floured surface, using as little of the sweet rice flour as possible. Use a 9" plate to cut into round circles.
7. As you roll out each ball, stack the circles between layers of wax paper.

8. Heat up a flat bottomed frying pan ... medium high....and in a little olive oil or coconut oil (healthy oil) fry each tortilla about 30 seconds on each side.

9. Let them cool... then store them in a sealed plastic bag in the fridge until you want to use them. I find they keep very well.


(credits... I found this recipe on a forum that was shared by someone who had googled it..I could not find the original source...plus the recipe as I found it had some ingred. quantity errors in it that I have corrected)

No comments:

Post a Comment