Search This Blog

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Old Fashioned Crumb Cake

I've been eating this crumb cake since I was in grade 9 . . . .1974. How can I be so sure? Well, that was the year I started to date my beloved and his mom made this often for his lunch. I have made it countless times and it turns out moist and the fragrance is out of this world. The method is easy peasy so put away your mixer. . .
My mother in law is such an awesome baker and cook, I can't count the number of recipes that she has shared with me. . . thanks mom.



  • Crumb Cake
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 cup softened butter
  • 2 cups of all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 farm fresh egg
  • 1 cup buttermilk


  1. Cream the butter and sugar in a medium bowl.
  2. Add the flour and blend together.
  3. Take out one cup of the above mixture and set aside.
  4. To the remainder. . .add the baking soda, and the spices.
  5. In a small bowl, beat the egg until foamy.
  6. Add the buttermilk to the egg.
  7. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients.
  8. Spread the batter into a greased 9" square pan.
  9. Sprinkle the set aside crumbs evenly ontop of the batter.
  10. Bake at 350 for 40 - 50 minutes. Stick in a toothpick at 40 minutes to check for doneness. The toothpick should come out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment