Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Monte Cristo Sandwich


I could have made a plain ham and chicken sandwich from the Easter leftovers and it would have been very good but I thought I'd take it to another level. I enjoyed this sandwich at a restaurant some time ago and it looked simple enough to make at home. I wasn't sure of all these flavors together but since I love sweet and savoury I really wanted to try it.
You need:
4 slices bread..I used white Texas Toast bread, it happened to be on sale..whole wheat would have been my first choice.
Honey dijon mustard or regular mustard
4 thin slices baked ham
4 thin slices roasted chicken..the restaurant used turkey
4 thin slices of swiss cheese
2 large eggs
1 tbsp milk
2 tsp melted butter
a dash of salt and pepper
powdered sugar to dust the sandwiches
raspberry jam for dipping
Then assemble:
1. Thinly spread each slice with mustard.
2. Layer between 2 slices of bread..a slice of cheese, ham, chicken and then another slice of cheese.
3. Repeat with other 2 slices of bread.
4. Whisk eggs, milk, melted butter, salt and pepper.
5. Dip both sides of the sandwich in egg mixture until the bread is lightly soaked.
6. Place on 350ยบ preheated grill sprayed with a bit of oil or you may use a frying pan on the stove. Drizzle any remaining egg mixture over the top of the sandwich.
7. Fry till golden brown approx 5 to 6 min on each side. Cover sandwich for the last min to melt the cheese.
Serve warm dusted with powdered sugar and make sure to dip the sandwich in raspberry jam before each bite..it is delicious!
Another great way to use up leftover ham and chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment