Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Persian Kotlety


One of our favorites growing up were Kotlety. We used to call them Russian hamburgers. A recipe for a more Russian version of these is in our cookbook but I wanted to share this recipe that has a Persian twist.
Ingredients:
1 lb. of ground meat
1 cup grated onion
1 egg
1 slice bread soaked in milk
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. oregano
1-2 cups fine bread crumbs or Panko breadcrumbs
2 tbsp. butter and 2 tbsp. olive oil for sauteing the patties
Put first 9 ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Form patties with this mixture. You can choose round or oval. Roll the patties in bread crumbs and saute them in butter and olive oil flipping half way through the cooking process till they are cooked through. Serve with your favorite sides. I used panko this time instead of fine bread crumbs and I liked the result.

I served them with my mother’s rice and a salad but the cutlet would pair nicely with potatoes in any form. My mother always formed the patties in this oval shape. These are also great cold in a sandwich form.

No comments:

Post a Comment