Search This Blog

Friday, October 2, 2009

Monika's Salad

Monika is my sister. I love it when she brings this salad to family dinners! I cropped this photo from a family time at the lake recently . . . so it is "her" salad.

Ingredients:

1/2 bag spring mix pre-washed salad greens
1/2 bag romain and iceberg mix
green onions (personal prefference)
1/2 cup fetta cheese (approx)
1/4 cup real bacon bits (approx)
2 small cans mandarin orange segments
1 cup toasted almond slices

Dressing:
1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
1-2 Tbsp wine vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce (optional)
1 tsp sugar

Method:

Prepare salad ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside. Mix dressing ingredients well and pour on just before serving.

When I make this salad, I don't add the soy sauce. I toast and caramalize blanched almonds by putting them in a Teflon pan on low to med heat, and stirring them for a few minutes. Then I sprinkle them with a few Tbsp of brown sugar and keep stirring until the sugar melts and sticks to the nuts. Warning: Don't walk away . . . keep stirring until done. Cool and sprinkle on salad.
The flavor in this salad goes well with turkey dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment