Search This Blog

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Simple Shrimp Cocktail


Shrimp Cocktail served in a pretty stemmed dish is a classic first course for a festive dinner party. This one is easy to make and proves popular with my guests. I'm posting this recipe at the request of several of the "Mennonite Girls" to whom I served it back in September.
  • Shredded lettuce
  • fresh or frozen cooked Shrimp and/or prawns*
  • Lemon slices (optional - for garnish)
  • fresh chopped parsley

* It's nice to have the large prawns as a garnish but you can use whatever size shrimp or prawns you have access to for the body of the cocktail. I only had the larger ones in my freezer when I made this but I often use the smaller ones. How many shrimp you need depends on their size.

For the cocktail sauce:

  • 1/2 cup bottled Chili Sauce (I use Heinz)
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon rind (if desired)
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • A dash or two Tabasco or other hot sauce
  1. In a small bowl, mix all cocktail sauce ingredients.
  2. Set aside.

Assemble shrimp cocktails:

  1. Fill the bottom 1/3 of each dish with shredded lettuce.
  2. Add smaller prawns or shrimp so that the dish is 3/4 full
  3. Spoon a generous tablespoon of cocktail sauce in to the centre of the shrimp.
  4. Drape 3 large prawns with the tail on over the edge of each dish
  5. Garnish with a lemon wedge or slice and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
  6. This amount of sauce would be enough for 6 shrimp cocktails.

No comments:

Post a Comment