Search This Blog

Friday, December 17, 2010

Marshmallows

My Mom used to make these fluffy ever so good marshmallows for Christmas. It was the greatest treat, the only time we ever had them. I haven't made them in years but when my brother reminded me I thought it was time to try them again.

  • 2 packets plain gelatin (2 tablespoons)
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • crushed cornflakes
  • toasted coconut
  1. Soak gelatin in half the water (3/4 cup).
  2. Pour the other half of water (3/4 cup) into a saucepan, add sugar and stir until dissolved.
  3. Bring to boil and boil for 11 minutes or to soft ball stage. This would be 235 on the candy thermometer. I don't have one so I checked by dropping a drop of the syrup in cold water every once in awhile. When it forms a ball in the water it's ready, I rubbed it between my fingers and could feel the soft ball it had formed. Remove from heat.
  4. Add the soaked gelatin, stir and let stand till partially cooled about 10 minutes. I put my saucepan in the snow outside to speed up the process:)
  5. Now add vanilla and salt and beat on high until mixture is white, fluffy and quite thick, approx 12 minutes.
6. I dusted a 7" x 11" x 1" pan with icing (powdered) sugar and found it not quite large enough so I dusted another small pan measuring 6 1/2" x 4" x 2" as you can see in the photo. Pour marshmallow mixture in pans and let set. I let mine sit on the counter for an hour.

7. Cut into 1" cubes or whatever size you want and roll in crushed cornflakes or toasted coconut. My favorite is crushed cornflakes, that's the way my Mom made them:) I left some plain to add to hot chocolate. Dip your knife in warm water to cut the marshmallows.
8. Store in a covered tin.
Yield: 48 light and fluffy marshmallows


No comments:

Post a Comment