Search This Blog

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Almond Cookies

Years ago my SIL and I took a Chinese cooking course, taught by Mrs Wong. We had a wonderful time. She taught us how to make many dishes and then we all shared a meal together at each class. That was motivation enough not to miss a class:)
I am happy that she shared this cookie recipe, they are one of my favorites. They are the 'melt in your mouth' kind. They can of course be baked any time of year but I like to have them on my cookie platters at Christmas.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup lard
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • whole almonds
  • sesame seeds
  • 1 egg for eggwash

Method:

  1. Cream lard and sugar until fluffy. Add 1 egg and almond extract. Mix well.
  2. Add flour and baking soda and blend into the creamed mixture.
  3. Roll dough into approx 1" balls and place on cookie sheet. Press cookies down with a glass that has been dipped in flour, this prevents the dough from sticking to the glass.
  4. Beat another egg for eggwash and brush on the cookies. Press an almond in the center of each cookie and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
  5. The recipe says to bake at 300º for 20 minutes, then increase heat to 350º for another 8 minutes until golden brown.
  6. I have changed that over the years and now find that in my oven it works well to bake them at 335º for 20 minutes.
  7. Yields: 34 cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment