Search This Blog

Monday, August 17, 2009

Soft Refrigerator Rolls

I am loving looking through The Mennonite Treasury of Recipes and discovering new for me recipes that I have overlooked for years. I often wonder what I've missed just because I didn't see what the finished product would look like. I made my rolls quite small to use with little grilled beef sliders.

This year after discovering refrigerator dough. . I have been trying pizza dough, cinnamon bun dough, artisan bread dough .. .and now I also enjoy this soft roll dough. The buns baked up soft and tender. I thought that refrigerator dough was a new method. . but Mrs J. Rempel has been making that way a very long time. Does anyone know when the first Mennonite Treasury of Recipes was printed? I changed the recipe slightly. . used less flour. . .and cut the recipe in half. .to put in my ice cream pail.

Refrigerator Rolls

  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 large tablespoon shortening
  • 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup warm water
  • 1 large farm fresh egg
  • 3 cups all purpose white flour. . .or use half multi grain flour
  1. Mix the boiling water, sugar, salt and shortening together in a large bowl. . allowing to cool.
  2. Soften yeast in the lukewarm water.
  3. Combine the yeast and the cooled shortening water mixture.
  4. Add the beaten egg.
  5. Add the flour. . .all at once. . .and stir well. . .
  6. Place in a greased ice cream pail and over the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

This dough will keep up to a week. .

When you are ready to bake. . .make the dough into a long roll about 1 1/2 thick. Cut into slices. . .and roll in the palm of your hand as shown in the picture. . you need to roll quickly to make a nice smooth ball.

Put the rolls onto a greased cookie sheet or a parchment lined sheet.

Allow to rise about 1 1/2 hours. . and then bake in a preheated 400 ยบ oven until perfectly browned. . about 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment