Search This Blog

Monday, September 14, 2009

Chocolate Biscoti - Gluten-free


Years ago I was doing a drapery consultation for an Italian family in Vancouver. The home belonged to the grandparents but children and grandchildren were visiting. They introduced me to Biscotti that the grandmother had made - obviously a treat for her grandchildren.
I never dreamed that one day in the future I would be the grandmother making Biscotti as a treat for my own granddaughter.
My youngest granddaughter's favorite is Chocolate Biscotti spread with Nutella. I love how her eyes light up when I tell her I've made it for her.
Chocolate Biscotti INGREDIENTS
1 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca startch
1/4 sweet rice flour
1/2 cup almond flour (I just grind my own in a coffee grinder)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
METHOD
*Put all dry ingredients into ziplock bag and mix thoroughly - set aside
*Cream butter until creamy, add sugar and beat until very fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beating after each addition. Add vanilla
*Slowly add dry ingredients to wet and beat until well mixed into smooth dough.
*Form soft dough into a ball and refrigeratefor 1 hr. or overnight.
*Divide dough into three pieces, form each piece into a log, and place on a large baking sheet.
*Bake at 350' for 20 minutes. Let cool , then cut into diagonal slices. Place face down on baking sheet and bake until dry - another 15-20 minutes.
*Let air dry until completely cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment