Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

How to Peel Hard Boiled Eggs in Seconds

Many years ago when I was still a young wife, I learned the secret to peeling hardboiled eggs from a young man who had been invited into the news studio to demonstrate his technique during the evening news hour.
I have always peeled eggs this way and thought that everyone had learned to do it the same way, but I find that many women still peel eggs laboriously the hard way.. bit by bit.
In case you have never stumbled across this trick, I thought I would demonstrate it for you in a little home video.

My husband kindly agreed to hold the camera.

so here are the steps....

1. cover eggs in pot with cold water... add salt so that if an egg crackes the egg stays in the shell.

2. turn element on high and timer for 20 minutes -- it takes about 10 minutes for the water to boil and ten minutes for egg yolk to harden.

3. remove from stove , immediately put pot under the cold water tap .

4. as soon as you can handle the eggs break the shells against the side of the pot.

5. leave crushed eggs in cold water for a bit (longer if eggs are very fresh)

6. peel eggs... shells will just about fall off. (make sure you start peeling under the membrane)

ADDED HELPFUL HINT - We like our eggs hard-boiled, but there have been times when I take them off the stove a little sooner .. I do find that they peel better when they are boiled longer. So if you are having some problem with the shells falling off... try boiling them a minute or two longer..

No comments:

Post a Comment