Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Gingerbread Cake

This is one of the recipes I still have in my recipe collection from my junior high home economics class. During my first years of marriage I used those recipes often. Not long ago I pulled out my old binder and decided to bake some of my old favorites. This is a very plain cake that is best served fresh with a mound of sweetened whipped cream.

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 1/4 tsp cloves
  • 1/2 cup hot tap water
Method:
  1. Cream butter, and then add sugar, egg and molasses. Beat well.
  2. Sift together all dry ingredients.
  3. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to butter mixture at a time, mixing well between each addition.
  4. Add hot water and beat until thoroughly combined.
  5. Pour batter into a greased 9"x9" greased pan.
  6. Bake at 350ยบ for 35-40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment