Search This Blog

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Orange Cake

I love the taste of citrus in cakes. When I came across this recipe I knew I had to try it. I adapted it to my taste.

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Juice and grated rind of 1 large orange

Method:

  1. Cream softened butter and sugar until creamy.
  2. Add egg, orange juice and grated rind.
  3. Blend dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, mix well.
  4. Pour in to a greased 8" by 8" greased pan and bake at 350ยบ for 35 minutes.
  5. When cake is baked spread with topping.

Topping:

  • 3 tbsp butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup flaked coconut
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  1. Spread topping on baked cake and put back in oven and set oven to broil.
  2. Watch carefully and once topping is bubbly and golden take cake out of the oven.
  3. It is good warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment