Search This Blog

Friday, July 10, 2009

Poppyseed Muffins - Gluten Free


Poppyseed for me triggers a childhood memory.
My grandparents lived in the adjoining farm to the one owned by my parents. Countless times I ran the length of the path connecting our two homes.
One of the flowers that immediately reminds me of my grandmother, is the poppy.
She always grew an abundance of the beautiful flowering plants.

I loved to watch the process of the flower forming the pod that grew and matured until the little holes formed around the rippled edge that allowed the ripe seed to shake out into my hand. I would beg Grandma for just one, please ! and usually I started begging before they were fully ripe!
I can still taste them!

I love these tasty muffins with a lemon poppyseed flavor.

Poppyseed Muffins

* 1 cup gluten-free bread/bun mix ( I use Kinnikinnick)
* 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
*1/2 tsp soda
*1/4 tsp salt
* 2 rounded tsp. of poppy seed

Mix above dry ingredients and set aside.

In mixer beat..
*1/4 cup butter
*1/2 cup sugar
add
*1 egg
*1 tsp vanilla
*1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
* 1/2 yogurt (plain)

Beat until fluffy

Add dry ingredients all at once and beat on high until batter is very fluffy and smooth - about 1 minute.

Fill 9 muffin tins about 3/4 full and bake at 375ยบ for about 35 min. or until they test done.
I eat these muffins plain, but a cream cheese icing would be good !!
****

No comments:

Post a Comment