Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls

I am known for not straying far from my old faithful cinnamon bun recipe, but while flipping through a stack of old recipe books I came across this one and thought I'd give it a shot.
I think my family would have enjoyed these, but would still vote for the others....which by the way are on the blog. When we go to visit our family in Kansas and Calgary I can be found in the kitchen with my hands in the dough and observers peering over my shoulders....so they can make them on their own. They do now...and so can any of you!
This recipe makes 15 rolls. The unique ingredient is corn starch. The dough is buttery soft and once risen is very easy to handle. I would recommend using a stand up mixer with a dough hook for this recipe. The finished rolls are very tender, and best served warm and fresh from the oven, drizzled with cream cheese frosting. I'll be making these again.

Ingredients:
-3/4 cup warm milk
-3 eggs, well beaten
-1 tbsp instant yeast
-4 1/4 cups flour
-1/2 cup sugar
-1/2 cup corn starch
-1 1/2 tsp salt
-12 tbsp soft butter

Place all the dry ingredients in the bowl of your mixer. Give it a good stir. Add the warm milk and beaten eggs and beat until well incorporated. Add 1 tbsp at a time of soft (NOT MELTED) butter to the dough. Beat well between each spoonful. Continue to beat for 10 minutes until you get a buttery yellow, soft dough that is coming together to form a very loose ball. Using a spatula pull the dough together away from the edges of the bowl, and then using your hands work the dough into a soft ball. Place the bowl in a draft free area and cover with a tea towel.
Let rise until double, at least 1 hour.
Filling:
-1 1/2 cups brown sugar
-1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
-1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional)
-4 tbsp soft butter
Mix the first 3 ingredients together.


Once the dough has risen to double in bulk lightly flour your work surface and roll dough into an 18" square.
Spread with soft butter, sprinkle with sugar mixture, and roll. Slice into 1 1/2 " slices.
Place rolls, just touching onto a parchment lined 9x13 pan. Cover rolls with towel and allow to rise again for 1 hour. Bake at 350º for 35 minutes. Usually I remove buns from the pans as soon as they are baked, but I left these in the pan to cool and frost. It worked well with this recipe.

Cream Cheese Frosting
-4 oz cream cheese
-1/2 -1 tbsp milk
-1 tsp vanilla
-3/4 cup icing sugar
-2 tbsp soft butter
Beat together until smooth, adding more milk or sugar as needed. I made mine a little runny so I could drizzle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment