Search This Blog

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Bread for the Journey


He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them.
And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change
and become like little children,
you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 18:2,3
One day, many years ago, I drove my little guy to a Birthday party. We had purchased a hockey stick for his friend, who was turning 4 or 5 and there appeared to be nothing but anticipation and excitement on his face. It was the first time he was invited to a Birthday party without a parent coming along.

I parked in front of the house and thought that he would just get out and go to the door, but out of the blue, he hesitated, and suddenly became very quiet, saying, “Mommy, I need you to go to the door with me.”

We went to the door and he joined the party. When I got back to my car, it hit me … how he had just plainly told me, that he needed me. I realized that the time would come where he would not need me anymore and I tucked the memory in my heart.

I’ve thought about how sweet those words must sound to my Father in heaven. I need you. No pretenses about being able to do it on my own. Does He not surely feel the same way as I did? Would He not be happy to help when we ask?  Will He not be there to catch me if I tell Him I need Him to do that?

What is it that you need God to do today, that will lighten your load? Why not tell Him?

I am reminded of an old hymn we sang at church . . .

I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee;
Oh, bless me now, my Savior,
I come to Thee.


No comments:

Post a Comment