Search This Blog

Monday, February 7, 2011

Soft Whole Wheat Bread

CELEBRATING "TWO MILLION" VISITORS TODAY!
Comments on todays post will be entered in a draw for our cookbook.
Draw closes at 8 PST. One name will be chosen.
Winner will be announced on tomorrows post.

There is nothing quite like walking into the house and catching the smell of fresh baked bread. This is one of my mom's bread recipes that I had not made in a long time. A friend gave me some Hovis bread pans from a bakery they used to own and I thought I would try them out. I still use my mom and my grandma's bread pans, but these attached smaller loaf sized pans worked like a charm.

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups very warm water
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 3 tbsp liquid honey
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp instant yeast
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 3 cups white flour
Method:
  1. Put very warm water in a bowl or large measuring cup. Add lemon juice, honey, oil and salt. Stir well to combine.
  2. In a large mixing bowl stir together both flours, and instant yeast.
  3. Pour water mixture into flour and stir.
  4. Knead dough at least 10 minutes. (see note below)
  5. Cover dough with a clean tea towel and allow it to rise until double in bulk. About 45 minutes-1 hour.
  6. Punch down the dough and form into loafs. Place in well greased bread pans. Let rise for 30-40minutes.
  7. Bake at 350ยบ for 30-40 minutes. Yields 3 regular sized loaves.
Note: When kneading dough for bread you may find you need a little more or a little less flour. I usually hold back 1/2 cup of the white flour to incorporate as I am kneading. I also like to have another teaspoon or two of oil to work into the dough as needed. This dough is very easy to work with. The secret is to knead it well...punch away at that dough until you see lots of tiny bubbles....then you can let it rise, and you can take a rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment