Search This Blog

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Bread for the Journey



The paper version was entitled Beating Ourselves Up.

Does that ring a bell with you?  I remember that when my boys were youngsters . ..it was easier to deal with a small offense against them by a young friend than if they were the offender.  It was simple to encourage them to forgive but I always felt so bad if they had been the offender.
 Do you ever find it easier to forgive someone else than it is to forgive yourself?  I have found that I am eager to punish myself and often feel tempted to confess my sin to another long after I have done my part ask for forgiveness and tried to make amends.  I do believe that God forgives me but when I hurt others  . . I feel the need to drag it around with me because I feel I deserve to suffer.

A verse De Haan quoted from the Bible brought tears to my eyes.

"This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in His presence whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and He knows everything"
( 1 John 3:19-20 NIV)

Do you see? God does see everything clearly.  He sees what we do wrong . ..and he sees our deep acknowledged regret .. and he knows better than us the price that was "paid to release us from that sin. He sees the trust we have put in His Son.  He sees the good work He has started in our hearts". . .which he has promised to finish.

Isn't that just wonderful? 

Later in the article he says . .
"We may be limiting our ability to be what God wants us to be.  Refusing to forgive ourselves as God has forgiven us does nothing but prolong and multiply our sin. Self-condemnation is the opposite of the gratitude that opens our hearts to God."

I don't want to be robbed of a joyful heart.
I want to live in freedom of forgiveness and I want to use my time to Praise my loving Heavenly Father.

Take heart dear ones . . .

"He has not dealt with us according to our sins, nor punished us according to our iniquities. For as the heavens are high above the earth, so great is His mercy toward those who fear Him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.  As a father pities his children, so the Lord pities those who fear Him. For He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust"
(Psalm 103:10-14 NKJV)

I'll remain thankful for my beloved husband that patiently listens to me relive my transgressions but I'll choose to be obedient in this areas that God has laid on my heart this week.
Gratitude for forgiveness.

all for now. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment