Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Oatmeal Coconut Cookies



My wonderful Aunt Emmy used to make these cookies and gifted me with the recipe for them. She was my mom's youngest sister and we loved spending time with her and her family. In fact I spent several summers living with them so I could babysit for her while she packed peaches on their farm.

I've photographed these cookies on the one surviving plate from my mom's everyday dishes - Somehow this plate, which brings such warm memories to me, always enhances the taste of anything dished out on it.

  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 cups oatmeal
  • 1 1/4 cups margarine or butter
  • 2 1/3 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 Tbsp. cold water
  • 3/4 cup coconut
  • 1 1/2 cup sultana raisins *

* My mom taught me to wash sultanas, running water through them until the water ran clear. Shake the water off and add to recipe.

Blend white and brown sugars, eggs and margarine in large bowl of mixer.

Add remaining ingredients in order.

Mix until well blended.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes. Do not overbake.

Remove to brown paper or racks and cool.

These cookies freeze well.

No comments:

Post a Comment