Search This Blog

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Coconut Prawns

We first tasted Coconut Prawns about 8 years ago on the Island of Roatan, Honduras when our oldest son was working there as a missionary. They were truly memorable and I asked Tim to get the recipe for me. The first time I made them was in our camper on a trip to the Maritimes. Each town on the Gaspe' Penninsula had it's own fresh fish shop and we treated ourselves to fresh shrimp and lobster at every opportunity. If you make these once, I guarantee you'll make them again.
  • 2 lb. large, raw prawns, deveined*
  • 1 cup flour
  • 3/4 tsp. seasoned salt
  • 1/4 tsp. gound pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. ginger (optional)
  • 3 egg whites
  • 2 cups coconut - I used fancy flaked coconut

*I use the largest prawns or shrimp I can find. Using the raw ones ensures that they are not overcooked and rubbery.

  1. Remove shells from prawns, leaving tail shells intact
  2. Mix seasonings with flour in shallow bowl
  3. Beat egg whites just until they are foamy and soft peaks form. Do not overbeat as the egg white will not stick to the prawns if they are too dry.
  4. Place coconut in another shallow bowl.
  5. Coat each prawn with seasoned flour, then dip in egg white until well coated, then transfer to coconut and coat gently on all sides.
  6. Fry in 1 inch of oil over medium heat, turning once. They are done when the coconut is golden brown and the prawns have turned pink. (I usually check one by cutting in half.)
  7. Drain on paper towel and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment