Search This Blog

Saturday, May 30, 2009

My Rollkuchen - Gluten-Free


My daughter has been begging for some time for Rollkuchen. I have been telling her that I didn't think it could be done 'gluten-free'!
But I was craving them as much as she was - so, finally I thought 'what harm in trying?'

I lay awake thinking about it one night ... and came up with the following recipe .. and to my delight, not only does the dough handle extremely well but the Rollkuchen taste VERY much like the real thing. They even 'puffed' up !
I met my 'tester' non-gluten-free husband at the door when he came home and said .. "Here - close you eyes and take a bite and tell me what you eating!!" He dutifully complied ... and said ... "Rollkuchen? they are awesome... now I just need some jam to go with them!"

My daughter's response ?? "MOM! HOW did you do that ?? HOW did you make them SMELL like wheat?? How did you make them taste just like the real ones ?? You HAVE to put these on your blog!"
I smiled, feeling quite gratified!!

Sometimes it is quite permissible to substitute one flour for another in gluten-free baking but I think exchanging any of the flours from the mix I used would not bring about the same satisfying results .

Ingredients for Rollkuchen

flour ---- 1/2 cup of a gluten-free bread and bun mix (my favorite is the Kinni-Kwick bread and bun mix from Kinnikinnick)
---------- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
---------- 1/4 cup white corn flour
---------- 1/4 cup white bean flour
1 tsp xanthan gum (heaped tsp)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp. butter
1/3 cup whole milk PLUS 2 tbsp.
1 egg

Method

Put all dry ingredients into a small zip lock bag and mix thoroughly
In heavy duty blender whip butter, egg and milk
Add dry ingredients and beat on high until dough becomes smooth.

Turn out onto lightly dusted surface (dust with sweet rice flour)
Knead lightly into a elastic ball... dough will be soft and very manageable.

Put into bowl and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour or longer.

Roll out quite thin, on a VERY lightly dusted surface .. use as little Sweet Rice flour as possible so the flour doesn't cling to the surface of the dough. You will find that if you turn the dough often ,(dusting lightly) that it rolls out very well without sticking much at all.

Cut into strips of desired size.

Deep fry in about 1/2 inch oil in frying pan until golden brown. The oil needs to be hot... heat to highest element setting and then turn back a little if you find they are browning too quickly. Lightly tickling the top of the dough strip with a fork after slipping into the hot fat encourages them to 'puff'.

Good warm or cold -- traditionally eaten with water melon or borscht .. or with jam or syrup for dessert!
(like all Gluten-free baking these are best the day they are made)

You may have trouble finding white corn flour and white bean flour. If you do they are available on line here....
http://www.food4celiacs.com/ShopOnline/AF/140.html white corn flour
http://www.bobsredmill.com/product.php?productid=3557 white bean flour

No comments:

Post a Comment