Search This Blog

Monday, May 24, 2010

Saving the Seasons

Have you noticed the beautifully covered book on our sidebar?

This last week I read through my own copy of Saving the Seasons and have enjoyed browsing the recipes. I appreciate beautiful food photography and I've been admiring the attractive photos of the fresh from the garden bounty and creative displays of preserved foods. Saving the Seasons is a brand new book published by Herald Press. It is written by Mary Clemens Meyer and Susanna Meyer a mom and daughter team. Together they have taken a step by step approach to preserving locally grown foods.

Spring is the perfect time of year to go through your freezer to use up the berries, fruits and veggies from last season to make room for this years produce.
I found one last package of frozen strawberries. . .allowed them to thaw and then used the strawberry jam recipe in the Saving the Seasons.





If you get started early in the season and take advantage of fruits and vegetables when they are at their peak at your local farm market. . .you'll save both money and time later on.
Nothing can match the flavour of home preserving. Saving the Seasons has valuable tips that making your home canning and preserving a success.

While I was in the section on drying foods, I remembered that somewhere up in our attic is a food dryer and I'm wondering now why its been up there for so long. Years ago it was used to dry bananas, plums and apples and this year I plan to add tomatoes for their Sun Gold Tomato Mayonnaise.



Strawberry Jam


  • 5 cups crushed strawberries ( I used up my berries in the freezer, I allowed them to thaw before measuring them)
  • 7 cups sugar
  • 1 box powdered pectin
  • 1/2 teaspoon butter
  1. Wash, stem and crush strawberries. Measure exact amount into a large cooking pot.
  2. Into a separate bowl measure the sugar. . .exactly.
  3. Stir pectin into the pot. . .add the butter.
  4. Bring to a full rolling boil that doesn't stop bubbling when you are stirring.
  5. Quickly stir in sugar and boil exactly 1 minute. . .stirring constantly.
  6. Remove from heat and skim foam from the surface of the jam.
  7. Use a 1 cup measuring cup to fill your jars. . leave a 1/2 space.
  8. Apply lids and tighten down.
  9. I always allow to cool completely and then keep them in the freezer.
  10. If you do not freeze. . process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Makes 8 half pint jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment