Search This Blog

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Chewy Sandwich Cookies

I got this recipe from my mother in law, I used less sugar than she did and found they tasted just as good. They have a chewy texture and a hint of spicy flavor. She claimed they tasted best right out of the freezer. Either way I find them delicious.
There is no butter or shortening in this recipe..just in case you thought I forgot.

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1/4 cup corn syrup
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 tsp soda
  • 2 tsp ground ginger

1. In a bowl mix molasses, syrup, sugar, eggs and lemon juice until well blended.

2. In a separate bowl stir together 1 cup of flour, soda, ginger, lemon zest and combine with the mixture in the first bowl. Then add more flour as you need. I used 3 cups in total.

3. Separate the dough into 2 parts and shape each part into a roll. You may need a little extra flour as you shape the rolls as the dough tends to be a bit sticky. Wrap in waxed paper and freeze.

4. Remove from freezer and slice the rolls into approx 1/4 inch slices and bake at 350ยบ for 8 minutes.

5. Cool on rack and put together with your favorite jam. I like wild plum jelly.

Yields: approx 38 sandwiched cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment