Search This Blog

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Bread for the Journey


As a young girl I loved going to Sunday School, and listening to the stories of Jesus. One of my favourites was the story in Matthew 14:13-21 where Jesus fed 5000 from a little boys lunch.
I'm sure the mother of that little boy had no idea that her son would be asked to share his lunch and that Jesus would be able to turn five loaves and two fish into enough to feed 5000....and have left overs. The message I learnt from that story as a child was that God can do miracles.
Today this story asks me the question, 'what small thing do I have that I can give to Jesus?'
I know that He is able to take a small seed and produce a harvest.
This past year as us girls from MGCC have been working on our upcoming cookbook, we have marvelled at how God has given us the opportunity to use our gifts right at home in our own kitchens. He placed a dream in our hearts to feed hungry children, and continued to open the right doors for us to preserve the recipes handed down to us from our moms and grandmas.

Our kitchens have turned out many loaves of bread. It is our joy and privilege to be able to give so that hungry children can be fed, and find hope.
The crowds in the miracle story were not only physically fed by Jesus, He also spiritually nourished them through His teachings. This nourishment is available for everyone.

John 6:35
Jesus said, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in me shall never thirst."



No comments:

Post a Comment