Search This Blog

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Bread for the Journey

I’m a Great Aunt, (pronounced “ont”). When my grand nephew was 2 years old he announced to his mother, “I don’t want to obey!” I love his immature honesty. I don’t want to obey either but I’d never say it outright. I’m passive aggresive in my disobedience. When God reveals an area of my life that needs a change I really test Him. Is that really what you want me to do? Is that really your voice? Like, right now? How about next week? Can we go slowly in that direction? Sometimes I can ignore Him completely.

There are times when obedience does come more easily. What sweet times those are. I want to be a more trusting child and say yes quicker to whatever God wants from me. I want to be in His word more so that I know what he requires of me in this relationship with Him.

Deut. 30:11-14-16; (ESV)

“For this commandment that I command you today is not too hard for you, neither is it far off. It is not in heaven, that you should say, “Who will ascend to heaven for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’ Neither is it beyond the sea, that you should say, ‘Who will go over the sea for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’ But the word is very near you. It is in your mouth and in your heart, so that you can do it.

“See, I have set before you today life and good, death and evil. If you obey the commandments of the Lord your God that I command you today, by loving the Lord your God, by walking in his ways and by keeping his commandments and his statutes and his rules, then you shall live and multiply, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land that you are entering to take possession of it.”

I’m remembering the song we used to sing in Sunday School, Trust and Obey. Simple but true.

Trust and Obey

(text: John H. Sammis, 1846-1919)

When we walk with the Lord
in the light of his word
what a glory he sheds on our way
while we do his good will
he abides with us still
and with all who will trust and obey

(refrain)

Trust and obey
For there’s no other way
to be happy in Jesus
But to trust and obey.

vs. 4

Then in fellowship sweet
we will sit at his feet
or we’ll walk by his side in the way;
what he says we will do
where he sends we will go;
never fear, only trust and obey.”

No comments:

Post a Comment