Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Andersons' Pea Soup

This recipe comes from the famous Andersen family.. Somewhere down the line...it's been referred to as Andersen's Pea Soup. I looked this up on line....and now I realize it's been around for years. I still remember my mother in law coming home saying that she had the recipe to Andersen's Famous Pea Soup.
We love this recipe and on a cold day, there's nothing better than a hot bowl of soup, which brings a spirit of wholesome family warmth around the table.

Ingredients
  • Two quarts of water
  • 2 cups green split peas
  • 1 stalk of celery chopped
  • 1 large carrot chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
  • 1 pinch of cayenne
  • 1 bay leaf
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Fill pot with water, add bay leaf and bring to a boil.
  2. Add split peas and boil hard for 20 minutes, then turn heat down until peas are tender.
  3. It suggests to strain through fine sieve and reheat to boiling point. I skip this process.
  4. Add celery, carrots and onion to pot and continue to simmer slowly for 1 hour.
  5. Add about 1/2 pound farmer sausage.
  6. Add spices.
  7. Add extra boiling water if it becomes to thick.
I do not strain my soup as I love the chunky peas the way they are...and it becomes quite tender while adding the other ingredients to the stock.
I love to add farmer sausage or bacon to this soup....It just adds that extra smoked flavor.
I served it for supper tonight...and the bowls are all licked empty, once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment