Search This Blog

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Wassail ( Hot Spiced Tea)

On behalf of our MGCC team,
I wish very one of you dear readers and followers of our blog
a VERY blessed Happy New Year!

******


My friend in the deep south has a family tradition of drinking 'Wassail' on Christmas Day. I think we might call it Hot Punch.

I remember in the early 80's we were at a meeting one winter evening where the hostess made a hot spiced fruit punch . It was the first time I had had anything like it and I still remember the taste of the first surprise sip!

This Wassail is just like it! I love it ! and when it is cooking the smell in the house is delightful!

I know Christmas is past ... but I think this hot spiced tea would be lovely for New Year's too -- or any winter day!
So, here is the Wassail recipe courtesy of my friend Tammie!
Ingredients
  • 1/2 gal. unsweetened tea (I used 8 cups of boiling water and 9 Orange Pekoe tea bags)
  • 46 oz. of Pineapple juice
  • 2-3 cinnamon sticks
  • 24 whole Cloves
  • 24 whole allspice (or 3 tsp of ground allspice)
  • 1 tin of frozen orange juice (12oz/355ml)
  • 1 tin of frozen lemonade (12 oz/355 ml)
  • 2 cups sugar ( I found this a little too sweet - I think 1 1/2 cups is lots)
  • 5 cups water

Method

  1. Bring the first 5 ingredients to a boil in a huge soup pot (larger than a 5 quart size)
  2. Boil for 15 minutes
  3. then add the sugar and frozen juices
  4. Add 5 cups of water to make a total of 5 quarts wassail.
  5. Heat until hot. Serve .... can be kept warm in a slow cooker for a party.

200 cal. per 8 oz serving with significant Vitamin C .

**Note -- Don't forget to make your New Year's fritters ! Click on the picture at the top right side bar for the regular recipe or find my GF recipe here.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment