Search This Blog

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Crab and Feta Stuffed Zucchini


Last night we had a wonderful supper of crab stuffed zucchini, poached halibut and basil cheese bread....where did we eat? At home of course...grin. A new year always brings the desire to eat more lean and healthy. This recipe is based on one in Company's Coming Healthy Choices and I think you can also find it on their web page. I've changed it up a bit to suit my liking - and to help me use up a few ingredients in my fridge. The result was very well received. Oh, and the other two menu items? I will happy to share those with you in upcoming posts.

Ingredients
These ingredients will give you a serving for six. Just divide by your required amount. You will see my pics showed a serving for two and it actually fed three easily.
  • 3 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
  • 2 tbsp margarine or butter (I used no-salt butter)
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 2 garlic cloves finely minced....you can use 1/2 tsp pwd. but I shudder at the difference in taste :)
  • 1 - 6 oz. can of crabmeat, drained and flaked
  • 1/2 cup grated Swiss Cheese (I had some holiday baking Gruyere left so I did 1/2 and 1/2 each. The Gruyere will melt more so the mixture was a good combination.)
  • 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (I used low fat.)
  • I also put in 1 tbsp chopped sun dried tomatoes soaked in olive oil
  • I also chopped a few black olives for colour and added them
  • 1 large egg - beat first with fork
  • 1 tbsp flour (I used 3 tbsp brown bread crumbs instead. If you want to be real healthy then use a bit of wheatgerm or ground flax in with it.)
  • 1 tbsp chopped parsley (or 3/4 tsp dried - fresh is better)
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill (or 1/2 tsp dried - really...fresh is better)
  • 1 tsp paprika (I used a dash or two of hot sauce instead- YUM!)
  • pepper to taste (fresh ground)

Scoop out pulp from each zucchini half leaving about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick shells. Arrange the shells in a single layer on a greased baking sheet. (I put them in my pyrex dish which I had 'greased' with olive oil and a couple of tsps of water.) Chop the pulp and reserve.

Melt the margarine or butter in a small frying pan on medium heat.
Add the onion and garlic, cooking until the onion starts to soften. Add the pulp and stir. Transfer to a medium sized bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix well and then spoon into the zucchini shells. Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Your zucchini will remain delightfully crisp and the stuffing will be wonderfully crunchy and cheesy.


And as we are all looking at these numbers these days...the total calorie count for ONE zucchini complete with stuffing is ONLY about 150 calories...ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment