Search This Blog

Friday, January 9, 2009

Meatloaf

This is by far the best meatloaf I have ever had because it had this wonderful glaze on it that keeps it moist. Even if your family has not liked meatloaf in the past, I’d say you should try this one.
I got this recipe at least 25 years ago from my friend Debbie, the mom of one of my son’s best friends growing up. When I asked her recently about posting it, she was quick to let me know that it’s her mom-in-law’s recipe. So, thank you, Mrs. Martens! I know I’ve tweaked the glaze somewhat for some reason a long time ago, but if you read this, Debbie, please feel free to add the original ingredient in a comment. I think it was Worcestershire sauce.

Ingredients:
1 1/4 lbs lean hamburger
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 onion, chopped or 1 – 2 tsp onion flakes
1 cup grated cheese
1/3 cup milk

topping:
¼ c ketchup
¼ c BBQ sauce
2 Tbsp brown sugar

Prepare a 9 X 13 pan by lining it with foil or parchment paper. Mix all ingredients well and shape into loaf. Place on baking pan and make an indentation along the top of the loaf. Cover meatloaf completely with topping. Bake at 350F about 60 – 75 min., depending on shape.
For two people: Mix whole recipe using fresh hamburger, shape and divide to make 2 mini loaves. Bake about 45 min. Freeze one and cover with topping just before baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment