Search This Blog

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Ginger Applesauce Fruitcake

Still have some dried fruit left over from your Christmas baking? Want to make a healthier version of the traditional fruitcake? This moist cake is good enough to pack in every day lunches or to serve with coffee without too much guilt in the New Year because it is sweetened with applesauce and brown sugar.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 bag of orange pekoe tea
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1 1/2 cups dark raisins
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup chopped mixed glaze fruit
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup applesauce (I use unsweetened)
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or almonds
  • 1/4 cup minced crystallized ginger
  • 1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
  • 2 cups flour ((I used 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup white)
  • 1 tsp flax seed (my addition - I am always trying to get that in somewhere)
  • 1 tsp baking pwd
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt (regular will do - I use sea salt when I do use salt)
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon (I used 1/2 tsp AT LEAST...love that cinnamon)
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
Place tea bag in a medium size blow and pour the boiling water over top. Cover and let it steep for 5 minutes. Squeeze out the teabag and discard. Add the raisins, brown sugar and glazed fruit. Stir and cover letting stand for 1 to 2 hours until the raisins are softened. Mix the next 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Add the raisin mixture and the remaining ingredients. Stir until it is just moistened. Spread into a greased or parchment lined 9 x 9 pan and bake in 350 F oven for 45 minutes or until done in the middle.

A friend served this delicious cake for me over the holiday. I am thinking it shouldn't have to be saved for holiday baking. Although she wrote out the recipe for me I believe it was one she tried from a cookbook given to her for Christmas called Easy Healthy Recipes by Jean Pare.

No comments:

Post a Comment