Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Barbecued Steak Supreme

I have been making this dish. . . .since I was 15 or 16. It was one of the first dinners I had at Terry's house when we started dating . I asked his mom for the recipe and brought it home and made it.
I still make this steak dish when comfort food is needed for ourselves. . .or for others.
At some point I came across the cookbook that she used.
  • 2 pounds steak. . .round or flank. . .
  • (I buy mine already sliced thin. . .but you can pound yours thin.)
  • 2 tablespoons seasoned flour. . .( a good dash of salt and pepper)
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1 medium onion . . .diced
  • 2 stalks celery. . diced
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • 1 can of tomato soup
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. . .
  • (I can still remember insisting to my mom that we need this)
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
  • dash. . Tabasco sauce

A long time ago .. .I started doubling the sauce recipe. . .because it tastes so good on mashed potatoes.

  1. Pound the flour into the steak. . .or if it is already very thinly sliced. . .sprinkle it on either side.
  2. Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan and brown the steak. . medium high heat.
  3. Remove the steak. . .and set aside.
  4. Brown the vegetables and add the remaining ingredients.
  5. Stir well and add the steak.
  6. Cook in the oven at 325 for 3 hours. The recipe says 350 for 1 1/2 hours. .. . but slower and longer makes it more tender. You can also put it in the crock pot. . .which I did the day I took the picture. . .all day on low.
  7. Serve over mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment