Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Bread for the Journey

A Day of Rest
I grew up in a home where Sundays were completely different from any other day of the week. We went to church, had a relaxed family dinner, mom and dad had a nap and we could play until friends came over and then play some more. We were not allowed to do homework. Now I know that sounds legalistic, but at the same time it was freeing. The only thing that rule did, was to force us to work ahead, and be able to enjoy a free day.

Jesus said that the Sabbath was made for man. God, who created us, knew we would need rest, so He said we should work six days and rest one day. This is hard to do in our fast paced way of life when stores are open and life does not stop. But maybe we need to consider how we can slow down and take the time to sit at His feet. We may be surprised at what we can accomplish when we are rested and recharged.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30


No comments:

Post a Comment