Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Red Velvet Cake

This cake is one of my grandchildren's favorite. I have made it for a few of their birthdays. It's very hard to keep the whipped cream from turning pink-ish when you cut the cake but hey a few pink tints don't bother me!
I know you can buy the red velvet cake mixes but sometimes it's just fun to do one from scratch.
This recipe comes from a friend..I made a few changes.

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tbsp cocoa
1/2 cup butter at room temperature
1 1/3 cups white sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp liquid red food coloring
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp baking soda

What you do:

1. In a bowl sift together flour, cocoa, salt and set aside.
2. With your mixer beat butter until soft, add sugar and beat until light.
3. Add eggs one at a time beating well after adding each one.
4. Add vanilla and beat until well combined.
5. Whisk together buttermilk and red food coloring and add the flour alternately with the buttermilk mixture until well blended.
6. Combine the vinegar and baking soda together(it will foam up) then quickly fold into the cake batter. (This is supposed help make the cake light and fluffy)
7. Divide the batter between two 9" round pans which have been lined with parchment paper.
8. Bake in preheated oven at 350ยบ for 30 min.

Once cakes are done and out of the oven cool for 10 min then invert them on a wire rack and let cool completely before frosting.
I frosted my cake with whipped cream. Sometimes I cut each cake in half horizontally giving me 4 layers which I then assemble with whipped cream between each layer and spread more whipped cream on top and sides. This time I left the cake in 2 layers so as to see the cake texture.
You can also make these into cupcakes or use for a trifle.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment