Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Homemade Laundry Soap

 

I've been making my own laundry soap for awhile now and am sold on the cost effectiveness and the efficiency of never running out of laundry detergent.

I haven't worked out exactly how much the soap costs per load but I'm saving a bundle.
I have a front loading machine and the clothing rinses clean and for those that are sensitive to fragrance it seems to be just fine.


I know there are many variatons out there. . .some liquid and some dry.
I'd love you to offer your recipe in the comment section and then everyone can try different recipes.

 

  • 1 sunlight bar grated into a medium saucepan
  • 4 cups hot tap water
  • 1 cup Washing Soda
  • 1/2 cup Borax
  • 1 five gallon pail
  1. Melt the Sunlight bar over medium heat . . stirring the whole time.
  2. Dump it into a 5 gallon pail and add the Washing Soda and the Borax.  Stir well.
  3. Add hot water to the pail to come to a few inches to the top of the pail.
  4. Stir well.  ( I use a broom handle)
  5. Let sit overnight and give it a good stir.  It will jell a bit.
  6. Fill empty laundry soap containers. 
  7. For my front load washer I use 1/4 cup.
  8. For top load washers you will use closer to 1/2 cup.
You will need to experiment with your loads.  Dirty loads need more detergent than light loads.  I use it on my dirtiest farm laundry and on my delicates with equal satisfaction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment