Search This Blog

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Bean Salad



When I was young, my mom often made bean salad, and I have to admit that I wasn't a fan when I was younger, so I never made it for my family. Then several years ago we were visiting friends and she served a bean salad, and my tastes had changed and really liked it. Surprisingly my kids really enjoyed it and ask me to make it. I especially like to make it in the summer for picnics and barbecues.
It is simple and can be made ahead and kept in the refrigerator for several days. The longer is sits the more flavorful it gets.

You need:

  • 3 cans of beans, any variety, these are a few suggestions
  • Kidney Beans red or white,
  • Lima Beans
  • Black Beans
  • Romano Beans
  • Chick or Garbanzo Beans, the choice is yours.
  • 2 cups of frozen green beans
  • 1 red onion diced
  • 1 green or red pepper chopped, I used orange and yellow because that is what I had
Dressing:
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup vinegar
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 tsp. dry mustard and thyme (optional)
  1. Rinse the beans under cold water to rinse off all the starch.
  2. Combine the remaining vegetables.
  3. Mix together all the dressing ingredients, I prefer the dressing with just the oil vinegar and sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves.
  4. Pour over the bean mixture and refrigerate overnight, the frozen beans thaw completely and have a nice texture.
  5. That simple, serve in a well ventilated are......... ;^D.

No comments:

Post a Comment