Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Salsa

Since there's an abundance of tomatoes and peppers out there right now, I thought I would share my salsa recipe. It's a recipe I got from my sister Kathy about twenty years ago...and is a staple at our home. I cook up a large batch in fall...and we enjoy it year-round.


Salsa

10 cups chopped tomatoes
8 jalapeno peppers chopped
(remove seeds from half of them)
3 cups chopped onions
1 cup chopped green peppers
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 1/3 cups vinegar
1 can tomato paste
1 tsp. cumin
1 Tablespoon red pepper flakes
3 Tablespoons pickling salt
3 Tablespoons brown sugar

Simmer all ingredients for 1 hour.
Stir in 1/3 cup cornstarch diluted in cold water and simmer for several minutes.
Ladle into hot jars & seal. (They will seal without processing in canner.)


This is a zippy salsa...if you prefer yours on the mild side, remove all the seeds and ribs from inside the jalapeno peppers.


No comments:

Post a Comment