Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Bologonese Sauce

I love Pasta and I love magazines. . .so we have gotten along famously that magazine and I.
I've made this recipe several times and though I've changed it up a bit. .
the recipe they gave really is wonderful. It is a magazine purchase I always enjoy.
"Bologonese' Sauce refers to dishes that are slowly simmered with vegetables and meat until it is nice and thick.
I didn't add the mascarpone cheese at the end. . but I bet it would be a tasty addition.

I used more ground beef than they suggested. . since I freeze my ground beef after purchasing it from a local butcher. Here is how I made the bolgonese sauce.
  • 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 4 Johnsonville Italian sausages . . .casings removed

Brown the ground beef and the sausages together. . .Use a potato masher to ensure even small bits. . .this will take a bit of patience but it's good to have even small bits.

  • 1 large vidalia onion
  • 2 stalks celery
  • 2 carrots
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic. . . I used prechopped refrigerated garlic. .
  • 1 large red bell pepper

Chop the veggies coarsely and put them in a food processor and pulse until they are even and finely chopped.

Add this to the browned meat. Simmer until the veggies are softened. . about 5 minutes.

Add .. .

  • 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup of red wine
  • 1 cup of whole milk. . . .(invite a little child over of your choice for chocolate milk for the remainder of the carton)
  • 1 small tin tomato paste
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon freeze dried basil leaves. . or use a small fist full of freshly chopped
  • 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes

Simmer slowly for about an hour .. .stirring occasionally. I let mine simmer for several hours and it lost a bit of liquid .. so an hour would have been just fine.

Finish with a fist full of chopped parsley. . .and serve over hot spaghetti noodles. . .or which ever noodle suits your fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment