Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Plum Cake

Our plum tree decided to go on a sabbatical this year, but when I saw the plums at the fruit stand yesterday, I had to get some and make this cake I hadn't made for along time. If I remember correctly, I got the recipe from a small magazine that came free to our house regularly years ago. I think it was called Homemakers. I also did something dumb and accidentally deleted all my pictures on the camera, so the ones that I took in the process are gone. Luckily the cake wasn’t gone yet when I did this!

topping:
1/2 c brown sugar
4 Tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c butter or margarine

cake:
¾ c sugar
½ c butter or margarine
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 ½ c flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ c milk
about 8 Italian plums

glaze:
¾ c icing sugar
1 Tbsp milk
½ tsp almond extract

Topping: in small bowl, stir together sugar, flour and cinnamon. With pastry blender cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
Cake: In large bowl, beat sugar and butter until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time and vanilla. Add combined dry ingredients alternately with milk. Spread batter into greased and floured 10 inch springform pan. Arrange plums, cut side up, on top of batter.
Sprinkle evenly with topping.
Bake at 350 F. about 50 min, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 min. Remove rim of pan. Mix glaze and drizzle over cake.
(If you line the greased pan with wax paper and grease again, you can slide the cake onto a serving plate. Otherwise just leave the cake on the plate of the baking pan and place that on a serving plate once it’s cooled.)

No comments:

Post a Comment