Search This Blog

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Apple Pie

My favorite local produce store had a huge bin of apples on sale yesterday. The sign SOFT, Perfect for pies and applesauce. I had not planned on making 6 pies for the freezer, but sometimes plans change! I bought 24 apples and then I ran over to the super market and bought 8" aluminum pie plates and headed for home. I usually stick to my favorite pie crust recipe. I use the recipe on the Tenderflake shortening box. It was enough for 6 8" double crust pies and I formed a ball out of the remaining pastry dough and frooze it for another day when I need a quick crust for a pie. Pie dough freezes very well. Just wrap it in syran and put into a freezer zip lock bag.
Apple pie filling
24 medium sized apples peeled and chopped (I use
an apple peeler)
1 cup flour
1 1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
3/4 cup melted honey
1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
Peel and chop apples into a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients. Divide apples between pie shells and top with pastry. Flute edges and make several slits on top crust. This help the steam release when baking. Using a pastry brush I brushed whipping cream onto top crust and sprinked with raw sugar. This does not have to be done but gives the pie a glaze and an added sugary crust.
To Bake: Pre heat oven to 425. Bake pies for 15 minutes and then reduce heat to 350 and bake another 40 minutes.
To Freeze: You can freeze the baked pies once cooled or, freeze unbaked. When ready to bake put frozen pie in 450 oven for 15 minutes and reduce to 350 and continue to bake for 1 hour. Insert a knife into pie slits to make sure apples are soft. It is better to bake the froozen pie abit longer to make sure it is baked through.
I have donated pies from this recipe to many MCC sales. It's fun to be able to contribute to such a good cause.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment