Search This Blog

Monday, June 22, 2009

Multigrain Bagels

I hadn't made bagels in a long time and decided it was time to make them again. This recipe is found in 'Sadie's Recipes and Reflections'. The recipes in this cookbook are shared by Sadie Warkentin, a wonderful person as well as a very good cook! I found this recipe to be easy and fast. I did change it up a wee bit, hers were a plain white bagel and mine are multigrain. You could use different flours and also add raisins, dried cranberries or other dried fruit of your choice to the mix.

Multigrain Bagels

Dissolve and let sit for 10 min.
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp yeast

Mix:
4 cups flour..I used 2 cups white flour and 2 cups multigrain flour
2 tsp salt
1 egg
3 tbsp oil

Add to yeast mixture and knead for 10 min.
I use instant yeast so I mix all of the above together. I found that 5 min kneading time was enough. I also used approx 1/4 cup more flour to make the dough easy to handle.
Divide dough into 12 pieces. Take each piece and roll it into a long roll with your hands. Curl it into a bagel shape and press ends together to stay in a circle.
Place on greased pans and let rise until doubled.
Prepare a pot of boiling water to which 1 tbsp of sugar has been added.
Once the bagels have risen to double in size drop them into the boiling pot of water about 3 at a time..leave them in for a few seconds, scoop them out and and place them on a greased baking pan and bake for 30 to 35 min at 375ยบ.

Hubby tried them and gave a thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment