Search This Blog

Monday, December 1, 2008

Zwieback...Grandma Buns

Zwieback (the Mennonite bun) are double-decker buns, that were tradionally served at every festive occasion...from Sunday afternoon faspa to weddings and funerals. My mother-in-law made the best zwieback...they were tiny, perfectly formed, melt-in-your-mouth morsels. According to her, the secret was using REAL butter.


Over the weekend, I hosted a faspa...traditional Sunday afternoon meal. Since we can't have faspa without zwiebacks, I made my mom-in-laws buns (just not quite as well as she used to make them).


Zwieback

  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 teaspooons sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons yeast
  • 1 1/2 cups butter
  • 2 Tablespoons salt
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 cups warm potato water
  • (I add 1/2 cup instant potato flakes to water)
  • 4 cups scalded milk
  • 14 cups flour (about)

Pour hot milk and potato water over butter, salt and sugar in large bowl. Let cool 5-10 minutes.

Prepare yeast by dissolving 2 tsp. sugar in 1 cup water and adding yeast.

Add 6 cups flour to the milk/butter mixture and beat well.

Continue adding flour and mix until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Dough will be very soft.

Knead about five minutes more.

Cover and let rise until double in bulk.

Form the buns. Bottom bun is about the size of a large walnut...top bun is smaller. Place smaller ball on top of larger one...and push down through centre of both balls with knuckle of index finger to prevent buns from falling over during baking.

Let rise until light.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes.
    Note: Now that's the recipe, but since I mix all my breads in the Bosch machine...it is much simpler for me than it was in ages past!

    I let the machine do all the kneading...and add the Fermipan yeast directly to the mixer with the flour. When the kneading is done...


    I just leave it right in the machine to rise. About 15 minutes later, the dough is ready to be formed into buns....


    ...lots of them!

    Baking in a double convection oven made quick work of the process! I started mixing buns at 9 am...and by 11:30 I had 8 dozen zwieback on the counter.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment