Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Slice


This is a recipe that I got from my dear friend Marie, and have been making it for over 25 years now. The other day my youngest was having a study night with a friend, and just as I was getting ready to leave the house she asked...."do we have a snack, cookies or something". What? she is asking now....so I decided to time myself, see how long it would take to make these and have all the ingredients back in the pantry and dirty dishes in the dishwasher and the slice in the oven. It took 6 minutes and 37 seconds! (I am not a speedy person and just did it the way I normally do). So when you think you don't have time to whip something up, think again. I put it in the oven and left. The slice was in the oven to bake,and 25 minutes later the girls enjoyed warm and chewy cookie slice with ice cream.
However the next time I made this I goofed and then I just changed the name called it Chocolate chip cookie slice "Biscotti".
Ooops,
I left them in the oven to long and forgot to set the timer, so they were not soft and chewy but crunchy.....hey they were still good, and I just gave it a new name. It still works, the key is don't panic when you make something and it doesn't work, even seasoned cooks goof. I should know :)

  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar (I also cut down on the sugar by 1/2 c. sometimes even 3/4c.)
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil or canola
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt (I use half because I use sea salt and you need less)
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (oops, more fell in, oh well)
  • 1 1/2 cups flour

  1. Combine oil, sugar, egg and vanilla.
  2. Add all the remaining ingredients and stir till combined.
  3. Grease a 10 x 15** pan and press dough into it using your hands that have been moistened with a little water. It may look like it will not spread will and that you have some bald spots but do not worry it covers the pan well as it bakes.
  4. Bake at 300 for 20-25 minutes*, or until a very light brown. You don't want to over bake it unless you want it to be like Biscotti of course, then go right ahead....:^)
*My oven it takes about 30 minutes, I don't always have the same results with baking time, so watch your at the 20-25 minute mark, you want a very light brown and the top looks shiny.
** Also if you really want to have a very chewy cookie slice then I do the recipe 1 1/2 times, to make them extra chewy and then bake them 7 minutes or so longer, but remember every oven is different.

No comments:

Post a Comment