Search This Blog

Friday, August 29, 2008

Corn Chowder

  • My friend Flo gave me this recipe years ago ..
Another family favorite, it is the soup I often take to families when they need a loving touch.
It is actually quite quick to make. . .no long simmering required, and it stores well in the refrigerator for the remainder of the week for quick lunches. . if it lasts that long.

Corn Chowder
  1. 1/2 ring smoked farmer sausage or 3 cups cubed smoked ham
  2. 1 large vidalia onion diced small or a regular onion .. medium sized
  3. 2 - 3 stalks celery. . .diced. . .I didn't have any in this soup. .
  4. diced bell peppers. . .I used two. . one red and one yellow. .use green if you like
  5. enough fresh potatoes for your family. . I used 5 medium ones
  6. 3 sliced carrots .. I used the ready peeled and chopped about 3 cups full
  7. 2 -3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
  8. 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper. . .or to taste. I add at least 1 teaspoon of pepper

As you can see the amounts of the veggies are quite vague. . .it really doesn't matter what you add or don't add it really is a preference of taste.

  1. Saute the sausage or ham in a soup pot.
  2. Add the onions and celery and saute until the veggies are softened.
  3. Add 5 -6 cups of water to the pot.
  4. Add the rest of the veggies. . .adding the corn last.
  5. Allow to simmer until all the veggies are tender.

I do this mid afternoon, put it on a very slow simmer . . .barely simmering and leave it be until nearly dinner time when I add the cheese sauce.

Cheese Sauce

  • 1/4 cup butter melted
  • 1/4 cup flour

Stir together the melted butter and flour in a 4 cup microwave measuring cup.

  • Add
  • 2 cups of milk
  • Put in the microwave for a minute at a time, stirring after each minute until it is bubbly.
  • Add
  • 2 or a bit more cups of grated cheese of your choice. . I use tex mex for extra zip

Stir the Cheese Sauce into the Soup. . .bring it to a slow simmer and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment