Search This Blog

Saturday, August 30, 2008

...Dilly Beans....(can be used for carrots as well)


My friend gave me this recipe to try on the weekend. I have been 'hankering' for some good old fashioned pickled beans. This was my first pickling experience.
Sooo exciting...bought all the right equipment and soon the smell of the brine filled my home. Love that dill weed too. Brought back fall memories. Lets hope they taste as good as they smelled when I try them in two weeks. I'll report back on a comment.


Ingredients

6 cups water
1 cup pickling salt
6 cups pickling vinegar
(I admit...I used just regular white)
8 heads fresh dill weed

1/2 cup pickling spice
1/2 cup mustard seed
8 dried red chili peppers
(I only had crushed so I used 1/2 tsp)
16 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tsp alum
5 pounds fresh green (I used yellow) beans
rinsed and trimmed.)

(Or mini carrots)


  1. Sterilize 8 (1 pint) jars in boiling water for at least 5 minutes.
  2. combine the water, pickling salt and vinegar in a large pot and bring to a boil. When it begins to boil, reduce heat to low and keep at a simmer while you pack the jars.
  3. In each jar place the following: 1 head of dill, 1 tbsp of pickling spice, 1 tbsp of mustard seed, 1 dried chili pepper (1/8 tsp crushed,), 2 cloves of garlic, and 1/8 tsp of alum. Pack beans into the spiced jars in a standing position.
  4. Lade the hot brine into jars, leaving 1/2 inch of space at the top. Screw the lids onto the jars and process in a hot water bath for 6 minutes to seal. Store at least 2 weeks before eating.

Well, all my lids have snapped so I am off to bed....
that means the seal 'took' right?



No comments:

Post a Comment