Search This Blog

Sunday, August 31, 2008

...Crab Apple Butter...



Well.....I couldn't be happier. THIS recipe will for sure go into my B&B log of recipes. I must remember to buy a place with a crab apple tree or scout out the neighbourhood first, before purchasing. If I could bottle this scent and imprint the memories that the aroma evokes...I would. Believe me, your home will fill with delightful scents and memories of autumn...it is well worth the time and wee effort to make.

Not able to improve upon a timeless recipe...this recipe can be found in the Mennonite Treasury of Recipes @1962. The only changes I made was to split the recipe into 1/5th (but I will give you the whole recipe) and increased the spices. The spice amount noted for this large batch I am about to give to you...can easily be used in 1/5 the recipe...as I made. So feel free to double, or quadruple the spices. Good luck and enjoy!

Ingredients

10 lbs crab apples
7 1/2 cups white sugar
4 cups water
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp ground cloves



Wash crab apples, remove the stems and blossom ends. Place in large heavy pot on stove. Add water and cover.









Cook until soft, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.






Put through a coarse sieve. I don't own any such thing so with 1/5th of the recipe it was no big deal...if you are big time into preserves etc...you might want to get a proper sieve...my bad wrist was nearly done for in just this small amount.






Return to pot, add sugar and spices. Cook slowly until thick, about 2 hours....yep...2 hours....and your house will love you for it!
Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal at once. My good friend Betty who knows all about canning says if you are doing up a big batch, make sure you follow proper canning instructions. I just made two jars and put in the fridge; they won't last the week I am betting.




No comments:

Post a Comment