Search This Blog

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Magic Bars

I have to admit....I was a bit skeptical. But in suddenly needing a quick 'boys' bar square for an afternoon get together I was desperate to quickly use what was at hand. I dashed to Cookie Madness where I have been successful before. Here was this terrific recipe with ALL the ingredients I had in the cooking cupboard. Well, okay...I had no idea what Golden Oreos were but I assumed the vanilla ones would do. The only changes I made were to use a mixture of pecan and walnuts (as I did not have enough pecans) and I only had fig newtons at home. My choco chips were of the tinier variety but equally as good.

Oh, and the cream cheese in the ingredient picture?
Not needed...it was just along for the 'ride'
as it was waiting for a photo session with my next baking venture.

Ingredients

45 Newton cookies, strawberry or raspberry (I used fig)
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk (that is a 300 g can for us Canadians)
1 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips (I only had mini chips but worked well)
1 cup pecan pieces (did 1/2 pecan and 1/2 walnut)
8 regular or Golden Oreos, broken up (not crushed) (Vanilla Oreos?)
1/4 cup shredded, sweetened coconut (optional) Yes....a must use in my house

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13×9 inch baking pan with parchment.

Lay Newton cookies side by side across bottom of lined dish, packing closely together. Pour condensed milk over Newtons.

Stir together chocolate chips, pecan pieces, broken up sandwich cookies and coconut (if using) and sprinkle over the Newtons.

Bake for 22-25 minutes. Let cool, then chill for a while. Cut into 24 bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment