Search This Blog

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Autumn Apple Cake

This is a very moist cake, recipe is from my sister in law and I of course had to tweak it a bit. This is the season that I like to bake 'apple things'. There are so many varieties of apples in the store and I think any kind will do. I used Gala as those were the kind I happened to have. Was chatting with Trish earlier and for some reason that triggered the urge to bake! Checked my pantry and yes I had all the ingredients so in short order I had the cake in the oven. Did it ever smell wonderful as it baked!
Hubby and I enjoyed some for coffee break..we both mmm'd our way through a rather generous serving with a dollop of whipped cream and some caramel drizzle!

2/3 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2/3 cup buttermilk or plain milk will do
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 cups chopped raw apples
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup chopped nuts..I used pecans, walnuts would be good too

In mixer cream together butter, sugar, add eggs and vanilla. Blend in dry ingredients that have been blended alternately with the buttermilk. Fold in chopped apples and nuts.
Pour into a 9" by 11" greased pan and sprinkle topping over cake.

Topping:
1 tbsp melted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup rolled oats
2 tsp flour
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup coconut
1/4 cup toffee bits
2 tsp cinnamon
Crumble this together and sprinkle over cake.

Bake at 350 for 40 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment