Search This Blog

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Refridgerator Bread and Butter Pickles



This recipe comes from my friend Jan. I like to make these with fresh young cucumbers, but I have also made them in winter using long english cucumbers.

Cut into thin slices enough cucumbers to fill an ice cream bucket (do not peel). Add 1-2 small onions cut into thin rings. I use the narrow blade on my hand slicer for all the slicing.

Brine

4 cups white sugar

2 cups white vinegar

2 tbsp pickling salt

1 tsp turmeric

1 tsp celery salt

1 tsp mustard seed

Bring all brine ingredients to a boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Pour over cucumbers and onions. Stir and let cool, then put in the refrigerator. Stir every few days. They are ready to eat after one day in the fridge, but they get better as the days go by. Several days after making I like to put the pickles into 2 large flip top glass jars as I find they keep better in glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment