Search This Blog

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Health Buns



This is one of my favorite recipes for buns.
I've just discovered it in the last year.
I no longer make the white ones,
except on occasional request....
I found it in the Greendale Mennonite Cookbook. (pg. 24)


But I do have to admit.
I have never kneaded dough in my life.
My first time round was a disaster. (35 years ago)
I literally through the dough at my husband and said, "Catch"
He saw the frustration on my face.
I have no clue how my mom did it!
It didn't take long and that man knew how to get his wife to bake bread.
Before I knew it, I had a beautiful Bosch machine,
and also an electric wheat mill, to grind all my own wheat.
Once you have tasted freshly ground wheat,
you don't want to go back to the store bought flour.

I changed up a few thing things in the recipe.

1 Cup water
2 Tbsp. yeast
1 tsp. sugar

4 Cups whole wheat flour
( I use the freshly ground whole wheat)
4 Cups white flour
1 Cup freshly ground 7-whole grains
1/2 Cup Flaxseed
1 Cup milk powder
( I never have milk powder)
I substitute 1 Cup scalded milk instead.
1 Tbsp salt

3 Cups warm water
1/3 Cup molasses
1/2 Cup oil
3 Eggs

I always use Fermipan Yeast, 3 Tbsp
so there's no rising time, I just add an extra cup of water.
So if you are familiar with the conventional method, just continue on...

I add only half the flour mixture, from white and whole wheat,
and add all the wet ingredients into my Bosch machine.

Now I let this mix for about 5 minutes.

Once this is well mixed, I add the remaining flour until
it forms a soft dough, not sticky.
It continues to knead for about 10 minutes.


Cover with plastic wrap and a towel and let rise until double in bulk.

Yikes, it rose faster than I expected.

Form into buns and place on greased pans.
Let rise once more for maybe 45 minutes.
Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes.
Cool on racks.

Serve with your favorite jam and cheese,
or even old fashioned peanut butter and honey.
It's always a staple in our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment