Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Gluten-free Pastry

I got the following pastry recipe from my friend Joanne, who is also Celiac. It is excellent tasting pastry ( as good as regular pastry) ! I know because I ate it before I knew I was Celiac and I was amazed that I could not tell the difference. The dough is also fairly easy to handle.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/2 cup tapioca flour
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup potato starch (NOT potato flour)
  • 1 cup sweet rice flour
  • dash of sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • rounded teaspoon of xanthan gum
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp vinegar
  • 4 tbsp ice water
  • sweet rice flour for rolling

METHOD

1. Blend well together the flours, xathan gum, salt and sugar. (flours for gluten-free baking must be well-blended - either sift them several times together or I put them all in a zip-lock bag and shake the bag- no dust-method, smile)

2. Cut in butter and shortening

3. Beat egg , add vinegar and ice-water.

4. Stir into flour mixture forming a ball. (Add a little more water if too dry)

5. You may knead this a bit since rice flour crust can stand handling. Knead until you have a smooth soft ball.

6. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour or more to chill.

7. Roll out between wax paper dusted with sweet rice flour. I scotch tape the wax paper to the counter to keep from sliding. Peel off top layer of wax paper , flip over onto pie plate and then carefully peel off the other layer of wax paper and fit pastry into pie shell fluting edges -- for single crust pie or for double add filling and then top with top crust .

8. Bake at 375' until lightly browned.


recipe will make one large double crust pie , or one single crust plus one platz base (recipe for gluten-free platz to follow)

No comments:

Post a Comment